The provider for hosting and VPS provides part of a physical server - a system unit that has a processor, operating system (OS) and memory. Physical machines are housed in data centers where cooling and uninterrupted power are provided.
A physical server has large resources that, more often than not, are not needed by a single user. This is why providers offer hosting or VPS services. Then the question arises: for whom a dedicated server may be needed? If the user needs access to all the resources of the physical server - the service of its full lease is offered.
Which server is called a dedicated server
This is a physical server that is located in the data center of the hosting provider. All its resources and capacities are fully allocated to the tenant without restriction.
How a dedicated server works and why you need it
Renting a dedicated server provides the possibility of absolutely individual customization: choose the equipment, install any operating system and software.
Dedicated servers can be managed or unmanaged. When renting a server, you get full administrative access to all settings. But when choosing a managed server, you trust the hoster to manage part of the processes.
Advantages of a dedicated server
- The best solution for those looking for high performance without the restriction of shared resources.
- The highest possible level of security.
- Complete isolation from other clients of the hoster - no "neighbors".
- Economy of budget - all equipment costs fall on the provider.
- Practically has no restrictions on the number of databases, sites, files.
- Support service works 24/7 and promptly helps in case of problems.
Minuses of a dedicated server
- The quality of equipment operation directly depends on the correct setting of initial and current parameters.
- To fully realize the potential of a dedicated server, it is necessary to keep a system administrator on staff.
- It is more expensive to rent a separate dedicated server than a virtual server.
How a dedicated server differs from a virtual server
Renting a dedicated server means using the entire physical machine, including the enclosure, power supply, components, etc. Virtual machine rent (VPS) implies "neighboring" with clients of the provider on one physical server.
Who needs a dedicated server
- Businesses with high internet traffic.
- To provide high level website security.
- Software developers and testers. This task requires large resources, high bandwidth and hosting their own software.
- Large companies that work with large amounts of data.
- Storing backups governed by strict security rules.
- Hosting for multiplayer online games.
- Providing web hosting services.
Why renting a server is preferable to buying your own equipment
Renting is a flexible and economical alternative to buying server equipment. The cost of servers is quite high, and if your sysadmin orders low-powered equipment - it will not be able to effectively perform the tasks. When renting a more powerful solution and data transfer is done in one day.
You also do not have to worry about equipment maintenance, power supply, fire safety and protection from unauthorized interference.
How to choose a dedicated server
We will help you understand the basic parameters of the server and tell you how to approach its choice.
The main component of any server is the processor, it is responsible for executing commands and processing data. Its performance and speed depend on the clock frequency and the number of cores. The more cores, the better the processor works in multithreading mode.
Operating memory is also important. It is better to choose it with a reserve to avoid problems due to shortage when the load increases.
Hard disk drives are designed to store information and have different read and write speeds and capacities. SSD and NVMe provide fast read and write speeds compared to HDD. However, the price of such disks is higher and their capacity is smaller.
Different types of disks can be used to achieve the best efficiency.
Since the server communicates with users over the Internet, network traffic and bandwidth are important. Network traffic is the amount of information that is transmitted over a network in a certain period of time. Bandwidth is the maximum rate of information transfer through the channel per unit of time.
A dedicated server is a convenient, cost-effective and secure solution that allows you to perform tasks with maximum efficiency. If there is a problem with one of its components, the sysadmin does not need to waste time fixing it. He can focus on other tasks, and the provider will quickly and efficiently fix the problem.